International Men’s Day is celebrated on 19 November, and focuses on promoting men’s health, improving gender relations, and highlighting positive male role models. Here are ten tips for men to maintain a healthy lifestyle:
1. Regular Health Check-ups:
- Proactive Health Monitoring: Schedule regular appointments with your healthcare provider to monitor blood pressure, cholesterol, and other critical health indicators.
- Cancer Screenings: Depending on your age and family history, get screened for prostate, testicular, and colorectal cancer.
2. Balanced Diet:
- Nutrient-Rich Foods: Include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins in your diet.
- Limit Processed Foods: Reduce intake of foods high in salt, sugar, and unhealthy fats.
3. Stay Active:
- Regular Exercise: Engage in at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week.
- Strength Training: Incorporate strength training exercises twice a week to maintain muscle mass and strength.
4. Mental Health Matters:
- Stress Management: Practise stress-reducing techniques like meditation, deep breathing, or mindfulness.
- Reach Out: Don’t hesitate to talk to a professional if you’re feeling overwhelmed or depressed.
5. Maintain a Healthy Weight:
- Balanced Diet and Exercise: These are key to maintaining a healthy weight.
- Regular Monitoring: Keep track of your weight and make necessary lifestyle adjustments when needed.
6. Stay Hydrated:
- Water is Key: Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Limit Sugary Drinks: Reduce intake of sodas and other high-sugar beverages.
7. Prioritise Sleep:
- Quality Sleep: Ensure 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night.
- Consistent Sleep Schedule: Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
8. Limit Alcohol and Avoid Smoking:
- Moderation is Crucial: If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Quit Smoking: Seek support to quit smoking, as it significantly increases the risk of various diseases.
9. Build Social Connections:
- Strong Support Network: Maintain strong connections with family and friends.
- Engage in Community: Participate in social or community groups.
10. Safety First:
- Drive Safely: Always wear a seatbelt and avoid using your phone while driving.
- Be Mindful at Work: Follow safety protocols at your workplace to prevent accidents.
Whilst these may be common knowledge, are they common practice?